The Prevention and Health Education Centre against Drugs «HORIZONS " is a civil non-for-profit organization, founded in December 1998. The Centre is funded by the Prefecture and Municipality of Kozani in cooperation with O.K.A.N.A. (The Organization against Drugs), the national coordinator against drug use. The central scope of the Centre is the prevention of drug use, by the means of effective interventions which help prevent risk behaviors before drug abuse occurs. Hence is being consisted of professionals specialized on drug-use prevention (a sociologist, three psychologists and two social workers).
Prevention interventions are designed to help people gain skills and approaches in order to stop problem behaviours before they occur. Therefore, the programmes concentrate mainly on young population, aiming at the strengthening of their personality, so as to resist the potential offer of drugs. In addition, they endeavour to develop a social network, in order to promote the necessary conditions that facilitate the dissuasion of substance use. Consequently, working more broadly with families, schools and communities is considered essential.
Main activities of Prevention Center “Horizons”
• It provides information based on scientific data concerning the use and prevention of drugs.
• It organises education programmes within school community (students, teachers).Those programmes intend for students and teachers to be accustomed to an alternative way of learning, in order for schools to function as institutions of prevention. The main objective is that of young people adopting attitudes and behaviours that will eventually lead to a healthy way of life.
• It organises seminars for parents, aiming at the enhancement of communication within the family members and the parents’ awareness on issues concerning young people.
• It organises groups of adolescents and provides the essential knowledge so they can function preventively among pear-groups.
• It provides counselling services for parents, adolescents, and teachers, anyone who appeals to the centre, individually.
• It informs drug users and their families about the available adequate treatment centres and facilitates their reference towards them.
• It promotes the initiative of individuals and institutions that wish to contribute voluntarily to prevention. Evidently, the centre teams up with governmental or private institutions as well as with individuals, aiming ultimately at the construction of a social network able to promote further the prevention of drug use.